Thursday, February 17, 2011

Seeds of Love

Those who go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, carrying their sheaves. Psalm 126:6
To love might be described as to plant a seed.

In this sense planting is fairly easy when the ground is soft and the crops are plentiful, for to love those who welcome your love and who share their love with you can be a task done with great ease and filled with much joy.

Being a city boy I don’t know much about farming, but I am told that planting seeds in a time of drought and famine is about as difficult as it gets. Not only is the ground hard to work with, but once planted, you can’t be sure that the seed will grow. Even worse, when famine is involved, the seed that is placed into the hard, dry earth diminishes what is available to be eaten now.

Thus,
Those who go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing…

Sowing LOVE can bring the same sense of weeping and despair when “the ground is hard” (or should we say, the attitude of the other person is hard) and when I don’t feel like I have much more to give nor do I have a guarantee of getting a return. In fact it may seem as though I will be starving myself and doing myself harm if I pour out anymore love in a certain direction.

And yet, the farmer knows that the only true way to make sure you don’t have the fruit of a harvest in the future is to not plant ANY seeds today. But as long as seeds continue to be planted, a hope for harvest still remains.

So also in love. The only true way I can be sure not to have a fruitful relationship with someone is to stop planting seeds of love. But as long as seeds of love continue to be planted, a hope for something new, something blessed, something fruitful still remains.

Pray that HE who along with His love was planted/buried in the cold dark tomb on account of the coldness and darkness of those whom He loved, might also empower our love, once planted, to burst forth as He and His love also did on the Third Day in His glorious resurrection.

Then, those who go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, carrying their sheaves.

Prayer: O Jesus, may the fruit of your loving relationship with me provide the seed, the water, and the harvest in my relationships with others. In your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment