Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Practice, Practice, Practice

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:9

Both of my sons play the piano.

Their enjoyment level in playing, though, is often determined by which day of the week it is.

The first day after their piano lesson is usually the worst. With newly assigned music before them it is not out of the ordinary to hear such complaints as: This is too hard. I can’t play this. I don’t like this piece. I don’t want to play this. And sometimes even a: I don’t want to play piano anymore.

I wonder how often I have had the same attitude when presented with my “next assignment” from the Lord?

It has taken a few years for me to learn how to have patience with them and to realize what a little practice can accomplish. Not only do the confusing notes on the page begin to make sense to them and to their fingers (and to our ears!), but their frustrations and doubts quickly begin to subside and are replaced with confidence and joy. I love this piece! they finally proclaim, not because the piece is suddenly not hard – but because they have practiced it enough to learn it and enjoy it. They are still learning to recognize that some decent practice along with a little musical giftedness can go a LONG way.

How about you and YOUR next assignment from the Lord?

At first glance it may seem too hard, if not impossible. You want me to do what?!? You expect me to stop speaking badly about who? You would like me to spend more time with you when? You are inviting me to trust you regarding that?

While His assignments can seem overwhelming at times, we tend to forget what some decent practice mixed with a little giftedness can accomplish – and in fact, in Christ we are not merely “a little gifted” – rather we are completely gifted! In us dwells the perfect Son of God through His Holy Spirit!!!

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 1 Corinthians 12:7

Only we forget that even the greatest gifts can be meaningless without practice.

And, true, the first few days (or sometimes weeks or longer) of practicing a new assignment can be by far the worst. But in time, as our Giftedness works within us, our doubts and frustrations will subside and be replaced with confidence and joy until what we do makes music to our ears as well as His.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, your resurrected life now dwells in me. May the gift of this new life be seen as I learn to practice the faith you have given me. In your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment