Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Even as Chickens (no offense to poultry)


If you have enough time read Psalm 27.

The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

It seems strange how “scary” taking our faith seriously can seem at times.

Anything from growing in our spiritual disciplines (prayer, worship, bible reading, fasting, etc.) to being a more faithful steward of what we have been given to living a holier life – each one of these can bring with it a certain amount of fear – a reaction within us that says WHOA – I don’t know if I am ready to go there!

And yet why is this? Will adding on 15 minutes of prayer time really kill the rest of our day/week/year/life? Will letting go of a grudge cause us personal harm? Will tithing (giving 10% back to the Lord) really destroy us financially? (Okay – maybe this can be a more “legitimate” fear – but does tithing now mean I’m signing a 5 year can’t-get-out-of contract to do the same?) Will letting go of lust, gossiping, and coveting; facing my other addictions; repenting of my wayward ways really ruin who I am and what I hope to get out of life? (Not that fear is the only thing that gets in the way of these things, but it is often what gets in the way of even beginning to let the Lord work changes in these areas of our lives.)

The truth is that even though chances are pretty good that my life will only get better as I let the Lord better my life, nonetheless that fear often remains. Am I wrong in this??? What is the Lord urging you to do? Are you afraid?

When faced with the road before Him, Jesus said, “Now my heart is troubled…” John 12:27.

Did He not also fear that which was before Him?

Faith isn’t necessarily the absence of fear, but rather going forward even in the midst of it.

Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.

And if I can’t let go of the fear, at least, Lord, don’t let go of me as you walk me right through my fear in order to bring me out safely on the other side.

So, fine – we can be a scared people, but is that any reason to stay right here?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, if it were up to me I’d be too chicken to go or grow. By your grace shepherd me beyond my fears right to where you know I should be. In your name, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment