Friday, January 30, 2009

reflecting on Augustine

I realized that I was far away from you. I was in the land where all is different from You, and I heard Your voice calling: 'I am the Food of full-grown men. Grow and you shall feed on me. But you shall not change me into yourself. ... Instead, you shall be changed into me.' Augustine, Confessions VII, x, 16. Is this not such a sign that we are on the way or at least traveling in the direction of spiritual maturity - when we stop trying to change God into us - defining Him as we define ourselves - seeing Him as we see ourselves - pretending that He thinks like we think - trying to mold Him into our image - and instead take note that He stands ready to mold us ever more into His image (as was our intended design) - to make us look more like Him? And is this not one of the most key mile-markers along the Way - and not only so - but also one of the most liberating? Or if not liberating - for maybe this comes a bit farther down the Road - at least enlightening?

No comments:

Post a Comment